The initiative is taken to solve the existing problem of the Ethiopian school curriculum based resources, such as textbooks distribution, video tutorials through television and reference book problem in most of the schools in the country.
To solve these problems,
- We developed the digital educational server for the whole high school and preparatory college, that has all textbooks, video tutorials, and reference books.
- · A tablet with grade resources (textbooks and video tutorials) full loaded so as to use them anywhere any time without the need for connection.
- · A wireless network that needs to bridge the resource in the server, which will be installed in the school to the tablet. This helps the student to access more resources from within the school compound. This includes other grade textbooks, video tutorials and reference materials with different formats, virtual labs, educational apps …etc.
- In the same way, a course based library system is developed for Universities in Ethiopia. Though it was first designed for Medical Universities in the country it can be customized to all.
The way forward
We have signed an MOU with the Ministry of Education, for 5 years, for development, piloting and implementing the local digital content in Ethiopian schools. more …
CBELS :- Course-based electronic library system developed for medical universities is already implemented in 10 Universities, and this will be implemented in more universities in the future.
We have entered into an agreement with a company called “compulab” that manufacture server and wireless devices. Hence, we are the distributor in the country, and abroad neighboring countries. The server has the capability to serve 24 x 7, with high performance that supports more than 4000 students at the same time, work on less power as 49 volt battery, with 3G connectivity, does not need a cooling environment like other servers, and with less than 1/3rd price of the server in the market.
We have come to a consensus with a company called “Instigate” in three areas of collaboration.
- To establish a robotics lab that helps the student to exercise practical activities in programming and the latest ICT technology.
- Establish UAV (Unmanned Arial vehicle) lab: -technical training to trainers, so that similar lab will be introduced in every region and school.
- Establish a Tablet assembly company through giving practical training to our staff, so as to assemble with local manpower and ensure its sustainability.
- Work on a cloud computing system, called “Metab” to interconnect school with offices to share information and update the server automatically with or without internet. This helps offices to get first-hand information automatically from schools and can be used as input for researchers, and organizations working on education, to revise the content, policy and improve the quality of education, and identify an area of collaboration.
After having the required certification on structural cabling with Datacomms and Siemons, in Kenya Nairobi, we are establishing the same training in Ethiopia, to have more local engineers in the country to strengthen the structural networking ability in our organization and in the country.
Solar panel solution: – after having discussed with different solar panel manufacturer and distributor, we have come to a consensus with “Yanghui lighting factory” (a china company working with German for a project in Ethiopia ) has a good quality solution for a different purpose. The solar panel can have the capacity to light the whole school, to an individual tablet with a fair price.